February is American Heart Month! This month is a great time to build awareness of heart disease and inform employees about preventative actions they can take to decrease their risk.
According to the American Heart Association, 25% of employer healthcare costs are due to risk factors related to heart disease. By investing in your company’s health, you can directly decrease healthcare costs and boost productivity. In fact, on average, for every $1 invested in worksite wellness, the employer saves $3 in return.
How can you, the employer, promote a heart healthy environment?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Moving into Action” plan, there are four different types of actions employers should take to help encourage heart healthy environments in the workplace:
- Demonstrate wellness leadership by establishing a wellness committee and/or partnering with a wellness platform to support your organization’s heart health mission.
- Offer incentives for healthy choices and participating in your wellness program.
- Provide coverage for preventive health screenings. If employees can save on these screenings, they are more likely to go ahead and complete them.
- Implement different health or medical services, such as providing CPR training for employees and investing in a worksite Automatic External Defibrillator (AED).
How can my organization help raise awareness about heart health?
Employers can take steps to promote heart health throughout the entire year. Below are some examples:
- Offer a biometric screening or encourage employees to complete a biometric screening with their physician.
- Encourage employees to track any health screening results over time to show trends in improvement and regression.
- Offer tips and educational materials throughout the year to improve heart health.
- Implement a wellness corporate challenge. Tap into your employees’ competitive drive and create a challenge designed to help your employees make healthy behavior changes for heart health.
Partnering with the right wellness platform, such as Well Nation®, can help positively impact your organization’s overall heart health by providing the tools and resources needed to reduce employee heart risk and save employers money. From convenient biometric screening options to employee and overall employer heart health assessments, Well Nation® offers a suite of comprehensive and easy-to-use resources to reduce heart risk.