The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics sponsors an annual campaign that is observed during the month of March to help educate and inform people on the importance of living a healthy lifestyle, choosing healthy foods, and making time for physical activity. Make healthy lifestyle and good nutrition a focus of March at your organization too! This year’s campaign theme is “Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle.”
What can you, the employer, do today to help your employees eat healthier?
Here are opportunities to promote healthy and responsible eating habits throughout your organization:
- Provide nutrition information (such as calories and fat content) of food offered during company gatherings or meetings
- Host a fruit bowl or other healthy snack options for employees
- Offer healthy restaurant choices when taking clients or employees to lunch meetings
- Provide an easy to access chilled water station for employees to refill on water throughout the day
How can my organization help promote long term healthy lifestyles of employees?
Employers can take steps to promote healthy eating in a variety of ways, including:
- Implement a corporate wellness program
- There is great value in having a structured corporate wellness program to help improve the health of your employees. A program that also incorporates wellness coaching will provide additional support for your employees.
- Promote a workplace healthy food policy
- Provide healthy food options in the cafeteria, the vending machines or at workplace functions. This will give employees the option to make better choices.
- Offer coverage for nutritional programs
- Offer coverage for meetings with a Registered Dietitian or a Nutritionist to help ensure that your employees are following credible and healthy nutritional plans.
- Offer workshops or educational resources to help with healthy eating
- Provide opportunities for Lunch and Learns about healthy eating and provide informational handouts regularly.
- Promote resources already available to your employees
- Ensure your employees are aware of any nutrition resources already provided by your organization, such as an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or corporate wellness program.
Partnering with the right wellness platform, such as Well Nation®, can help positively impact your organization’s overall health by providing the tools and resources needed to become healthy and save in healthcare costs. With convenient targeted nutrition wellness coaching, individual and corporate healthy lifestyle challenges, and a healthy habits tracking and reward system, Well Nation® offers a suite of comprehensive and easy-to-use resources to improve eating habits and promote overall healthier lifestyles. To learn more about Well Nation® contact us.